Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Family Matters...



When I first moved to Georgia in 2004, I thought that it would be a great change.  Boy...was I wrong.  When I got down here, my mother was going through some issues, cousins, aunts, uncles...and I thought very quickly that I had made a big mistake.  You're supposed to love your family, right?  Well...I wasn't feeling that.  Personal issues can imact people in psychological, spiritual and emotional ways.  Some of my family members seemed as though they couldn't show me much love nor to each other and the only thing that I could do was pray.  So I prayed...and prayed...and prayed.  A few years passed, things slowly started getting better.  The anger I was feeling was a little more stubborn, but even when I didn't feel like it, I still would pray.  The Bible says that there are times when we must pray without ceasing.

Adding to this, I really didn't find southerners very congenial.  I'm still in search of true southern hospitality...however, this is yet another issue I'm praying on.

Now, in 2011, I'm living in a different city in Georgia--still close by, but I can now reflect on my first experience in this state. 

The one thing that I've grown to appreciate is the vast amount of family that I have in this state.  Both of my parents are from Georgia.  So are both sets of my grandparents and great grandparents.  My roots are deep.  I'm part of a legacy. 

Back in September of 2010, I decided to join Facebook.  What a blessing that turned out to be.  I've not only been reunited with old classmates and friends, but connected with family members--and met new ones.  Also, when I moved to Georgia, I had started writing my first novel--an inspirational book dedicated to uplifting Black men.  I finished that book in August of 2010.  I have a goal to be published soon...and I will.

Sometimes, you got to put your best foot forward, have faith and move forward.

The sun is shining bright today and I can truly say that I am blessed. 

Family does matter and I'm glad that I didn't give up on mine.

No comments: