Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Books Changed Your Life?

Back in the 90's, when I was a youngin', I had come to a crossroad and literally woke up one morning...clenching my fist, and yelling at the ceiling: "I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM!" No, I wasn't having a panic attack, but it was more or less like my soul was crying out to God for direction.

Everyone is searching for something in this world. We seek the comfort of material things if we didn't have a lot growing up, but materialism is not my religion and I wanted something far deeper.

Little did I know, in the span of 7 years, the answers that I sought would be found during a grueling decade of not only trial and error; but I'd find myself through taking trips to my local library and discovering books that would help me focus, as well as change my life.

The books that changed my life are as follows:

  • The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • The Autobiographies of Frederick Douglas
  • Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
  • Makes Me Wanna Holler by Nate McCall
  • Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver
  • Monster by Kody Scott, aka Sanyika Shakur
  • The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  • Rich Dad Poor Dad by Ken Kiyasaki
  • The 48 Laws of Power by Michael Greene; this is a MUST READ for anyone who wants to understand how to get ahead. Link: http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/cg/Cours...s_of_power.htm.
    • The Destruction of Black Civilizations by Dr. Chancellor Williams

    Yes, I've read all of these books and many, many, more...but the power of what I read in these books, literally, just fed my spirit. I grew up. And I can honestly tell you, that all these years later, I'm not lost anymore. And it is because of reading books that I truly became conscious about the world and how I could impact it.

    So, I'll open the door and ask those here, just what books changed your life?

No comments: