Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

What Happened To Good Music?

Motown Changed the game back in the sixties.  The roster of artists on that label set the record industry on fire.  Than, through the seventies, great artists and songs really gave that decade a virtual soundtrack.  I still listen to seventies music.  The eighties birthed Hip Hop, Madonna and Michael Jackson Thrilled us into the history books.  The nineties kept it rolling with the great young R & B groups, rappers began to become more mainstream and we saw the emergence of Gangsta Rap--giving us groups and artists like NWA, Public Enemy, Paris, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Ice Cube, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, The Wu Tang Klan, The Notorious BIG, et al.  From the beginning of the decade to the last nano second of 1999; the nineties thrilled us well.  But the last ten years just have not been very impressive.




There was a time when I would literally toss and turn in anticipation of getting to either Sam Goody, Camelot Music, Tower Records, Coconuts, etc. From R & B to Pop, I had picks. My musical taste is wide.


But those days are long gone.

I moved to Georgia in 2004 and I've only bought about 15 new Cd's within that time frame. Just 15. Honey, I used to buy that many Cd's in one trip to the record store back in the day. In a year, don't even ask. I spent a lot of money...and don't even get me started on stereos, boom boxes, Cd players et al. The Record industry was making a lot of money from folks like me.

However, today, nothing that I hear on the radio these days even get a ripple of excitement out of me. With exception to R. Kelly's Love Letter, J Moss--Just James and the new goal of purchasing Ledisi's new album; I'm really not going to buy too much music.

It's sad...but the glory days of New Music Tuesday are a thing of the past.

Napster changed the game forever. People simply got tired of spending over $20 for music, but only to be disappointed for the lack of good songs on it.



If it continues like this; music stars will be a thing of the past.



No comments: