Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Oprah's OWN Network is Too White!


Today, I prepared for yet another scorcher.  It's going to be around 94 degrees today.  I left the house this morning at 6:39 AM.  It was already humid before 8:30 AM.  

Had a lot on my mind.  I spoke to some of my friends and family on Facebook, then I went to my blog.  The traffic is growing, and I'm attracting some interesting folks.  Had a message from someone claiming to be an FBI agent(ok...)and then I spent time answering some of the guests that have commented on some of my blog entries.

I'm not the type to back down from my opinions and generally, I speak my mind without apology. 

There's been a lot of discussion about Oprah's OWN network.  Everyone has been complaining about the lack of diversity on Oprah's OWN network, but what suggestions would people like to give to her as to the type of programming they'd like to see?

 I do feel that her show is too white and I took the liberty of sending her an e-mail stating so:

Dear Ms. Winfrey,

I don't know you personally, but I watched The Oprah Winfrey Show from the very beginning to the last show.  Also, I was blessed to be part of a live audience taping twice over the years.  
However, the reason I'm writing this e-mail to you is just to speak candidly about your OWN network.  I have a question: What type of shows are you planning for OWN?


Many African Americans have been complaining that your network lacks culture and diversity and why aren't you promoting more African American talent?  Why? This article highlighted this very question: http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/30/is-oprah-s-network-too-white.html.

As an African American woman, I'd like to see programming that reflects my community--and not through the editing of white producers.  There is simply no excuse as to why African Americans are being "Blacked out" by the media--treating us as if we don't matter.  There are so many young Black men and women making accomplishments, but we never hear about them.

If you want your network to succeed, I highly suggest that you begin to reexamine your standards.

Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of prominent Black people acting as if there is something wrong with showing White America that being Black is not a deficit--it's an honor.



Respectfully,
[Name]

That's my ten cents.  I anticipate her response.

As for Black America, many are not happy.  I'm tired of people complaining all the time. Be bold and speak your mind to her.  Nothing changes until folks make it happen.

Her email address is
Oprah@Oprah.com . She says she will respond to messages when she can. 

Well... SPEAK UP NOW or forever hold your peace.


No comments: