Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

When You're Just Tired of M'Fuckas!!!



Can I go there today?

Yesterday, I was talking to a coworker and I told them that I really think that there is a divine moderator keeping me in check lately.

Ever since I moved to Georgia, I have really been very composed. I don't know why...but I think God is definitely responsible for this.

This is not normal for me, having grown up in Chicago. Typically, back home, I really didn't take any crap and would confront someone if the situation called for it.

However, I've realized now that living in the south, one has to have a certain level of tolerance for the people here. Southern folks are very peculiar and there is a tremendous level of ignorance. People here don't seem to understand why it's not cool to ask people personal questions--we don't do that where I'm from. There is an attitude of indifference here for non natives. I haven't seen any "so called" southern hospitality and if some folks think you have a little more than they have, they can be very vindictive.

The church folk down here basically go to church for social reasons. Honestly, they don't seem to understand the basic tenets of Christianity at all. Southerners will typically want to know what church you go to--some won't have anything to do with you if you say you don't go to church. Basically, the logic is if you go to church, people will think you're " respectable ." The kicker is that these same people wouldn't lend a dime to a struggling neighbor or feed the needy in their communities if Jesus himself asked them to. Some would walk over a homeless person and not look back.

Those who are considered middle class here act indifferently to the poor and seem to think it's a crime for anyone to ask for help. The mentality of a lot of southern people is that "I got mine...you get yours."

Some of these folks are a real trip.

Sad.

When the slaves were freed, this crippled the south's economy and the North basically cut the south off. Life was hard and the south remained poor for a very long time. My parents, grandparents and great grandparents were all born in the south(Georgia). I remember when I'd visit Georgia as a child, the poverty that I saw was appalling. It was like visiting a third world country in some counties. Houses had no electricity, plumbing or basic necessities that were visible in the north. However, within the last 30 years, when Atlanta became the Black Mecca, things began to improve throughout other areas of the south. It's not like it used to be, but the south is still relatively poor and behind, in comparison to the north.

Yes, I've had to tell some folks off--and I don't regret it.

I've reached my limit and when I get tired of your @ss--that's it.

So, I dedicate this blog to people who have been putting up with m'fuckas for years and are about to serve some WHOOP ASS on some folks right about now.

I feel ya.

No comments: